Re: gdk-pixbuf to GTK

On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 05:43:35PM -0500, dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> > I'm in favor of doing this, though this would introduce (optional)
> > libtiff, libpng, and libjpeg dependencies for GTK+. XPM simply
> > is not a good format, and having that be the only native image
> > format for GTK+ is rather silly.
>
> Having just gone through the pain of helping a friend build Enlightement
> for Solaris (which required IMlib, which in turn required 5 bazillion
> twisty little image libraries, all with different build procedures) might I
> suggest bringing in the required tiff/jpeg/png code into the main GTK
> codebase somehow?
>
> As in grabbing the main GTK tarball should include this code, and the main
> GTK configure should configure it.
>
> DG

We shouldn't have to maintain tiff/jpeg/png code - someone else already
does this.  We also shouldn't muck around installing things from the GTK+
tarball that don't belong there.

These dependancies are necessary, and people will have to install a few
extra things.  We just have to accept that and move along.  Most people
who compile from source probably already have these things installed
because other things do use them.

And actually, it will make installing GIMP, GNOME, etc. less of a pain
because those libs will already be installed. ;-)

-Shawn

--
Shawn T. Amundson                       amundson@eventloop.com
Research and Development                http://www.eventloop.com/

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking