Re: Removing old doc stuff from ftp site

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Shawn T . Amundson wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 02:41:57AM +0100, Tim Janik wrote:
> > apart from the historical value of those tarballs, they are an
> > immensive important resource to figure evolution of specific
> > code sections.
> > for some gtk code paths, the original intend could only
> > be figured by reviewing context diffs, up the very first releases
> > made by peter (which i was lucky enough to keep around).
> >
> > don't dare removing any tarballs or patches! ;)
>
> This stuff is all in CVS.

we've already lost history on CVS in the past (though with the
backup mechanisms currently engaged that hopefully won't happen anymore).
furthermore the CVS tags don't always reflect the actuall code that went
into the tarballs, so it won't give me the same diffs as the tarballs.
also, we've had packaging problems in the past that only affected
tarballs etc...

so the point is, keeping track of what actually got shipped to the
end user is an important issue, for historical reasons, references
made to old tarballs (even from mail archives), and for verification.

> But, our mirrors aren't complaining about disk space anyway so
> there is probably little value in removing them ether, after some
> more thought.

i wouldn't mind the tarballs being moved to some other toplevel
directory like /pub/gtk-history or something that other sites
wouldn't mirror, as long as it stays publically available on
our main repository.

> We could put up even older releases as well (the ones you have
> around) to be even more complete.

yeah, we should probably do that at some point, i still got a bunch
of gimp-extracts that were never shipped as stand alone releases
of gtk itself, as well as the initial releases of the objectified
gtk+ that peter made.

> > just ftp://gtk.org/pub/glib/unstable/v1.3/ should really
> > be taken off the site, that glib-1.3.0.tar.gz tarball just
> > keeps confusing people and does in now way reflect the
> > development work that went into glib-1.3 (and is by no
> > means "official" anyways).
>
> Since it's that aweful horrible for you I've moved it off the
> ftp site.

thanks.

> As for it's status as "official" or not, that sounds
> like a jab at me as the release maintainer.  And here I thought
> we were one big happy family.

well, i certainly didn't mean to come across that way, i apologize
for the unintended implications of that sentence.

> -Shawn

---
ciaoTJ