Connecting to key-up events as accelerators

I wish to trap the key down and key up events
and emit signals for each of them.  (I'll be timing the
interval primarily but I may want a visual cue on press...)

I'm not sure if this is possible... might there be a simple
hack to achieve the effect w/o reinventing too much
of the gtkaccelerator stuff?

You see, it would be nice to easily remap keys/have
multiple instances of these widgets, so I think I can benefit
from that system...

- Dave