Re: normal buttons don't get down when pressed with SPACE or ENTER

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Derek Simkowiak <dereks@kd-dev.com> writes:
> >       We should not make that assumption.  Where in the Gtk+ tutorials
> > does it say "...and if you attach a signal to the button, make sure it
> > does something that provides the user with visual feedback"?
> >

> If lack of docs were a compelling argument for anything, GTK would
> have been screwed long ago. ;-)
>
> >       I think the problem is with the definition of "pressed" and
> > "released".  Havoc's comments state that "pressed" and "released" are
> > functions of the mouse, whereas Antonio is suggesting that "pressed" and
> > "released" are functions of the widget--so using the keyboard to "press"
> > the button should be no different from using the mouse to "press" the
> > (gtk)button.
> >

> No the problem is that people think they want to use "pressed" when
> really they want "clicked". pressed is _only_ useful for the
> hold-down-the-button case. I'm sure I've seen this mistake on gtk-list
> a dozen times, which means the number of people screwing it up while
> not posting their screwup to gtk-list is probably quite high.
>
> i.e. I think it's empirically demonstrated to be confusing.  Perhaps
> they should be called start_click and end_click or something.
>
> Havoc
>
> --

But Havoc, when you press a normal button with the mouse and gets down and
then you press it with the keyboard (or click, whatever) and doesn't get
down, it's really a little annoying (for the user mainly). (not really a big
bug, but at least I say it's annoying, because toggle, check and radio
buttons does respond to the keyboard presses).
I almost managed to change this behaviour changing the sources, but I'm still
having problems.
I added key_press_event? and key_released_event? callbacks to the button
klass, and added KEY_PRESS_MASK KEY_RELEASE_MASK to the button window, and
tried to fix the things. But the button only gets down and up (with the
keyboard) when the mouse is inside the button.
Does anybody have a little time to fix this ?
Do I report it as a bug ?