Re: normal buttons don't get down when pressed with SPACE or ENTER

Derek Simkowiak <dereks@kd-dev.com> writes:
> 	We should not make that assumption.  Where in the Gtk+ tutorials
> does it say "...and if you attach a signal to the button, make sure it
> does something that provides the user with visual feedback"?

If lack of docs were a compelling argument for anything, GTK would
have been screwed long ago. ;-)

> 	I think the problem is with the definition of "pressed" and
> "released".  Havoc's comments state that "pressed" and "released" are
> functions of the mouse, whereas Antonio is suggesting that "pressed" and
> "released" are functions of the widget--so using the keyboard to "press"
> the button should be no different from using the mouse to "press" the
> (gtk)button.

No the problem is that people think they want to use "pressed" when
really they want "clicked". pressed is _only_ useful for the
hold-down-the-button case. I'm sure I've seen this mistake on gtk-list
a dozen times, which means the number of people screwing it up while
not posting their screwup to gtk-list is probably quite high.

i.e. I think it's empirically demonstrated to be confusing.  Perhaps
they should be called start_click and end_click or something.

Havoc