Re: normal buttons don't get down when pressed with SPACE or ENTER

Antonio Campos <acampos@ceronet.com> writes:
> But when you press space or enter over the button, the button doesn't
> draw correctly. Currently, the button doesn't move, so the user doesn't
> get the feeling of a pressed button with the keyboard.

Well in theory pressing the button should _do_ something the user can
see:-) Such as close a dialog, etc.

> This only happens with normal buttons, because toggle, check and radio
> ones get drawn correctly when you use the keyboard over them.

Just because they change state, the mouse-related stuff doesn't show
up with these widgets either.

> Moreover, the buttons don't get the pressed or released signals when
> pressed or released through the keyboard, only the clicked signal. This
> doesn't happen with the mouse.

That's because they aren't pressed or released, because
pressed/released means a mouse button was pressed/released (I think
these two signals are useless and just confuse people, myself - maybe
if you want something to happen while the button is held down, is the
only use for them I can think of, and you can't hold a button down
with the keyboard).

Anyway I'm thinking of adding button pressed/released signals to my
"really trivial pet peeve" list along with
gtk_ctree_set_expander_style().

> I think this makes the GTK GUI someway non-homogeneus.
> I tried to fix this on the source of GTK+-1.2.6, but I am missing
> something I can't solve.
> Do I submit this as a bug?

I don't consider it a bug, maybe Owen/Tim would.

> By the way, how do I search through the CVS tree of GTK, and download a
> branch? I have followed the GTK faq with no luck accessing the server.

cvs co -r gtk-1-2 gtk+  # to get stable branch
cvs co gtk+             # development branch

Havoc