RPM

Hi,
I need to recompile gtk with configure option
--with-xinput=xfree
as i want to be able to access my tablet programmatically.
i use mandrake 7.0 and downloaded the source rpm for gtk.
i did a
rpm -ivh gtk+-1.2.6-6mdk.src.rpm
and found the sources and spec file to be installed in
/usr/src/RPM on my machine in the SOURCES and SPECS directories.
i then edited the spec file to pass the required configure
parameter to configure and then did an rpm -bb specfile. i
am not that familiar with rpm building of binary distributions
but hoped that this would leave a binary rpm package of gtk
in one of the directories under /usr/src/RPM but nothing.
i further need to build a gtk-devel package with the same
XInput features enabled but have no clue as to how to go
about doing this. could someone please help. The output is

[root@kudu SPECS]# rpm -bb --short-circuit gtk+.spec
Processing files: gtk+-1.2.6-6mdk
File not found by glob: /var/tmp/gtk-1.2.6-root/usr/share/locale/*/*/*
PreReq: /sbin/ldconfig
Requires: glib >= 1.2.6
Obsoletes: gtk
Processing files: gtk+-devel-1.2.6-6mdk
Finding  Provides: (using /usr/lib/rpm/find-provides)...
Finding  Requires: (using /usr/lib/rpm/find-requires)...
PreReq: /sbin/install-info
Requires: gtk+ = 1.2.6 glib-devel XFree86-devel /bin/sh
Obsoletes: gtk-devel

(this output was obtained after a previous -bb session, therefore
the --short-circuit) furthermore,
wouldn't it be more sencible to have this support enabled in
the core distribution of gtk by defaults as i couldn't see
that it would bloat the sources by megabytes of lines.
regards
Tiaan Wessels