Re: GTK Toolbars

There are a ton of assumptions in the widget set and defaults for
buttons, scrollbars, widget spacing, etc, that make the gtk waste a lot
of screen area, which is death on a small (320x240 ipaq for example)
display.

Also the notorious filesel widget does not work well at this resolution.

I stuck up a preliminary hack at solving the problems on
mvista.sourceforge.net, calling the result "squashed gtk". I agree these
defaults should be themable but what I wanted (at the time) was a
version of the gtk libraries that would recognise really small displays
and adjust its defaults accordingly, yet be plug-compatible with the
standard gtk.

Adding themeability support would be nice, though. I hope to return to
this problem sometime after the new year and work against the 1.3.x
sources.