Re: .defs Issues From Java-Gnome

Dan Bornstein <danfuzz milk com> writes:
> Where is the new .defs format currently specified? My impression is that
> the .defs files are now generated from headers rather than checked in to
> the repository. Is this an accurate assessment? If so, I'd be very
> appreciative if someone could forward me or post a URL of a recent snapshot
> of the generated file(s). As I said before, the only information I could
> find was discussions and drafts from early this year. It seems that a lot
> of stuff has happened in the mean time.

Docs on the format are in gtk+/docs/defsformat.txt. In the
gnome-python module, there's a script h2def.py that generates the defs
files (well, it doesn't implement everything described in
defsformat.txt, but some subset). Also gnome-python has the generated
files checked in I think.

> Ah. I have as yet been unable to figure out what the GTK schedule looks
> like. The Java-Gnome project is actually pretty far along at this point.
> (You can already write useful-ish apps with it, and somebody just did a
> bunch of support for glade, which is looking pretty promising, but there
> are still a couple crashing problems and it probably hemmhorages memory
> like nobody's business.) When is the next stable release of GTK supposed to
> be ready?

Early next year, or so. ;-)

> In the mean time, is it possible to generate new-style defs for GTK/Gnome
> 1.2.8?

Probably so, at least if you're willing to hack on the script a bit.

Havoc