Re: .defs Issues From Java-Gnome

Thanks for the information. Additional questions:

>Probably a lot of your concerns are addressed by the new .defs format

Where is the new .defs format currently specified? My impression is that
the .defs files are now generated from headers rather than checked in to
the repository. Is this an accurate assessment? If so, I'd be very
appreciative if someone could forward me or post a URL of a recent snapshot
of the generated file(s). As I said before, the only information I could
find was discussions and drafts from early this year. It seems that a lot
of stuff has happened in the mean time.

>I would suggest wrapping GTK 1.3.x, by the time you finish Java/gnome
>it will be the current version

Ah. I have as yet been unable to figure out what the GTK schedule looks
like. The Java-Gnome project is actually pretty far along at this point.
(You can already write useful-ish apps with it, and somebody just did a
bunch of support for glade, which is looking pretty promising, but there
are still a couple crashing problems and it probably hemmhorages memory
like nobody's business.) When is the next stable release of GTK supposed to
be ready?

In the mean time, is it possible to generate new-style defs for GTK/Gnome
1.2.8? I ask this because the Java-Gnome project is currently more
interested in deploying on top of a stable GTK than an experimental one.
(It's hard enough tracking down bugs at *our* level.) If we could get
new-style defs to use with 1.2.8, we could make a lot of progress towards
eventual nirvana while still maintaining a stable foundation. And then,
when 1.4 is ready, we could switch to it with minimal hassle.

Thanks again.

-dan