Gdk interface to XDrawImageString?

Hi All,

Just wondering if there are any plans for a way to access XDrawImageString
via gdk? You can pretty much do every text-drawing function with gdk,
except this one.

While I'm talking about XDrawImageString, I noticed something strange
about it. It's supposed to be a flicker-free way to draw text (or so the
XLib manual says) because it draws the background and text "at the same
time". But with certain fonts, it still flickers. For example with "fixed"
it works fine, but with "Courier (Adobe)" it flickers. I can't understand
why this is. Is it just a XFree86'ism?

--
Peter Zelezny <zed linux com>