Re: supporting antialiased text in gdk

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Pavel Machek wrote:
> I'd like to turn linux-fb into linux-console port [yes, making it
> possible to draw in text mode; see
> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/cursed/cursed.html]. text mode
> functions are vital for me.
Ok.

> I did cvs update today, with cvsroot
>
> pavel bug:~/gnome/gtk+$ cat CVS/Root
> :pserver:pavel cvs gimp org:/cvs/gnome
> pavel bug:~/gnome/gtk+$
>
> READme says
>
> This is GTK+ version 1.3.2. GTK+, which stands for the Gimp ToolKit,
>
> This should be the current version, right? I can't find files you
> mentioned:
>
> pavel bug:~/gnome/gtk+$ find . -name gdkdrawable-fb.c
> pavel bug:~/gnome/gtk+$
>
> but I have gdkdrawable-fb2. Unfortunately, it just puts up warning
> about "not yet implemented" in function gdk_fb_draw_text.

Sorry, gdkdrawable-fb2.c is the one i meant. Unfortunately for you GtkFB
doesn't implement any of the GdkFont APIs. All text rendering is done
using Pango.

Basically, gdk/linux-fb/gdkpango-fb.c implements a framebuffer
specialization of PangoFont. It contains code to list and load fonts,
get metric information about fonts and glyphs and rasterizing glyphs
(using freetype2).

modules/linux-fb/basic.c is a basic pango script engine. It uses freetype2
to do the unicode->glyph index conversion.

gdk/linux-fb/gdkdrawable-fb2.c contains gdk_fb_draw_glyphs() which draws
the glyphs. It calls gdk_fb_draw_drawable_3() in the same file and
eventually ends up in some visual-specific composition code in
gdk/linux-fb/gdkrender-fb.c

/ Alex