Re: enhacing GTK visual quality

Derek Simkowiak wrote:

> -> 1) When a label gets an allocation space inferior to the requested by
> -> the widget label,
> [...]
> -> |--------------|
> -> |ust to big label to fi|
> -> |--------------|
> ->
> -> The right thing:
> ->
> -> |--------------|
> -> |... to big label to  f...|
> -> |--------------|
>
>         Question: Is the above example only when the label is centered?
> If the label is left-aligned, I would expect
>
> -> |--------------|
> -> |Just to big label to fit
> -> |--------------|
>
>         to become
>
> -> |--------------|
> -> |Just to big...|
> -> |--------------|
>
>         ...and if the label is right-aligned, I would expect
>
> -> |--------------|
> ->big label to fit|
> -> |--------------|
>
>         to become
>
> -> |--------------|
> -> |...abel to fit|
> -> |--------------|

Right. Read totally my original message, and you'll see that what you say
here is stated there.

>         Finally, MS-Windows will present the entire label as a tooltip if
> the user puts the mouse over the obscured label.  That is, the label is
> superimposed on top of the obscuring window, with a yellow background, so
> the user can see what the label is trying to say.
>
>         Although that solution looks rather crappy, it is a very practical
> feature (especially when looking at a list of long directory pathnames or
> some such thing).  Shrink the left-side tree of Windows Explorer to see
> what I mean.
>
>         It would be cool if we could come up with something a little more
> aesthetically pleasing, but functionally equivalent.  Maybe a
> mini-animation to "peel back" the obscuring part of the window on top, or
> maybe make the obscuring window shaded and translucent just in the area of
> the label (so the user can "see through" to the obscured label).  How does
> Mac OS X handle this (if at all)?

I will be happy with just solving the problem by putting the "points" ... at
the affected laterals.
The more advanced 3D effects may wait, ;-). Let's concentrate on current
bugs/bads behaviours and then we could add something more astonishing...

> -> 2) The long and interminable story of the buttons don't getting
> -> depressed (visually) when the users click on them using the keyboard
>
>         This has come up before.

Yes, but without any solutions.
Does anybody have one?