Re: enhacing GTK visual quality

Derek Simkowiak wrote:

> -> 1) When a label gets an allocation space inferior to the requested by
> -> the widget label,
> [...]
> -> |--------------|
> -> |ust to big label to fi|
> -> |--------------|
> ->
> -> The right thing:
> ->
> -> |--------------|
> -> |... to big label to  f...|
> -> |--------------|
>
>         Question: Is the above example only when the label is centered?
> If the label is left-aligned, I would expect
>
> -> |--------------|
> -> |Just to big label to fit
> -> |--------------|
>
>         to become
>
> -> |--------------|
> -> |Just to big...|
> -> |--------------|

If you shrink the newsgroup view on netscape, you see that te abel
instead of this:

|--------------|
|Just to big label to fit
|--------------|

Becomes

|--------------|
|Just t...o fit|
|--------------|

This is useful for when the user is more interested in the beginning and
end of text. e.g. Under Windows, I hate the wat eplorer truncates either
the left or right side of the path, so I don't know either a) which disk
the file is on or b) which is its directory.

Could we have some sort of 'Ellipsis Policy' of the label to show if the
left and/or right side should be truncated or if the centre section
should be?

Further more, the tooltip idea /is/ useful for labels and (for example)
lists but for a button, one still wants the tooltip to give a better
description of the function of the button.

Rich

--

     o () o                          | Rich Wareham
     |\/\/|                          | Robinson College,