Re: [HEAD] gdkcc genericization

Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com> writes:

> I don't know why GdkColorContext exists nor do I understand how it works,
> but I was able to take gdk/x11/gdkcc-x11.c and convert it to something
> that is almost completely generic of gdk backend. The result (albeit one
> that produces visually imperfect results) is gdk/linux-fb/gdkcc-fb.c.
>
> The only thing that is 100% required to be specific to the backend is the
> equivalent of XQueryColors(). I was wondering if anyone thought fixing
> things up to move GdkColorContext into gdk/ and add the necessary backend
> abstractions was a good idea - it certainly seems possible.
>
> I just wanted to bring this issue up - I'm not planning on working towards
> this now, and things work as they are, but it might make a good small
> project if someone is looking for something to do.

Well, it would be, except that GdkCC is completely obsolete.

I hadn't decided yet whether we should just remove it for GTK+-2.0
or not, but anybody revising code for GTK+-2.0 should certainly
stop using it.

We do need a portable interface for XQueryColor(), for things like
the color-picker in the color selector.