Re: Unidentified subject!

Actually in double-buffering X one usually uses
server-side pixmaps.  Only in rare apps that
want to render pixels themselves into XImages (like doom)
are pixels transmitted.

Another key point is that windows apps gain speed by doing
the scrolling copy in hardware (in X one uses via XCopyArea...).
This is what makes it so generally speedy, and would
generally be hampered by double-buffering, esp if the
buffer winds up in main memory as opposed to on card memory.

- Dave