Re: Text mode gtk

Owen Taylor wrote:

> Pavel Machek <pavel@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> writes:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Some time ago you wrote me that [good] text mode gtk is impossible. I
> > tried to argue, and did not hear from you since then.
> >
> > Why do you think so? From my experiments it looks pretty usable.
>
> Hmmm, I'm not sure how to be polite about this...
>
>  Importance of keeping GTK+ working nicely in GUI mode 99.999%
>  Importance of getting GTK+ working in text mode 0.001%

I am a "customer" of gtk, not (much) of a developer.
I agree with this 100%. PLEASE do not burden the gtk
code with extra:

	executable-bloat
	library=bloat
	sourcecode-bloat
	time-to-market
	time-to-stabilize
	build parameters
	runtime parameters
	dependence on termcap/terminfo
	funky text-mode interpretations of up-arrow=ESC-A
	and other assorted crud

to impress or assist the .001% of your audience that would find
such a "feature" useful.

Part of every REALLY GOOD product is setting boundaries. Text-mode
is really something I believe GTK should avoid.

-Jeff
--
jdeassoc@earthlink.net
http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~amarth