Re: External event loop for glib?

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Helge Hess wrote:

> Elliot Lee wrote:
> >
> > I'm curious, what doesn't the glib event loop provide that is needed?
>
> Just had a look again and what is confusing is gtk_main. gtk_main
> doesn't only enter the runloop but initializes stuff as well. So what
> (IMHO) would be needed are functions like this:
>
>   gtk_prepare();
>   FD_SET descriptors = gtk_runloop_descriptors();
>   // own runloop
>     if (descriptors were busy)
>       gtk_handle_descriptors(descriptors)
>   gtk_finish();
>
> Right ? The way it currently is I have to copy most of gtk_main's code,
> right ?

You're still not explaining why you need to use another main loop, so you
may be putting yourself into a lot of pain for nothing.

I'm not arguing that there aren't situations where the glib main loop
doesn't serve all needs. I'm arguing that in this specific situation, you
haven't yet proven that you can't use the glib main loop :-)

-- Elliot
Lbh'er fhccbfrq gb gel bar bs gubfr fvyyl EFN-va-guerr-yvarf .fvtangherf
ba guvf, svefg