some TODO for 1.2:

Hi,

This is a short list of things, that I think, should be fixed before a 1.2
release. I'm doing it, just in case nobody have noticed those problems
before and they are:

1) There are a some functions used in gtk, which are not MT-safe, like:
    * gethostbyname in gtk+/gdk/gxid_lib.c
    * getpwent, getpwnam, getpwuid and readdir in gtk+/gtk/gtkfilesel.c
    * gmtime and localtime in gtk+/gtk/gtkcalendar.c
   They've to be replaced by their `_r' counterparts.
   If there are no objections, I would be willing to take care for them
   (after some experience with the corresponding change in glib, it'll be
   easy.)

2) There still is a problem with the color selection on displays with very
   few available colors. It happens as follow. If I start up testgtk and
   then the colorselection, then the screen flashes shortly and then the
   color selection really lookes screewed (only the colors, that is). If I
   enter the color selection window with the mouse, then it flases again,
   during this flash it seems, that the colors are right for a short
   moment. This happens also, if the application is frozen (like in a
   debugger), so I'm pretty sure it is happening in the function
   gdk_window_add_colormap_windows at gdk/gdkwindow.c:1770. But as I have
   virtually no experience in programming X, I have no idea, what the
   couse might be. Please have a look at this with an 8bpp display and
   netscape running (to eat up all colors).

3) How are chances to get an internationalized (i.e. gettextized) gtk for
   solaris? compiling and installing gnu gettext here gains nothing, as
   gnu and system gettext are horrible incompatible and I can't see a way
   to make applications link againt the gnu one. (as they always find the
   system one first and link it in, changing the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not a
   good idea either, as some systems tools denies to work then). What a
   mess, the best solution would be to prepend all gnu gettext functions
   and the library name (i.e. intl) with a prefix and use those functions.
   Those name space collisions are really deadly on solaris. I hope to be
   disproved on that...

4) Change the G_LOCK things in glib a bit, more on that later. Ah, I can
   hear Tim scream ;-)

Bye,
Sebastian
--
Sebastian Wilhelmi                   |            här ovanför alla molnen
mailto:wilhelmi@ira.uka.de           |      är himmlen så förunerligt blå