testgtk strangeness on AXP (Alpha) architecture

If I attempt to run gdb on testgtk I get:

"/home/compile/gtk+-1.1.14/gtk/testgtk": not in executable format: File format n
ot recognized

Yet, if I run testgtk it pops up a window and the button box and buttons
selections work, but selecting check buttons gives:

Gdk-ERROR **: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)

aborting...
Aborted (core dumped)

Any ideas?  Not having gdb available is gonna make tracking this down
an absolute pain.

Andy L.