GtkText design question: \n highlighting

     All,
	I'm working on a somewhat-improved GtkText widget (see the
archive for details).

	One problem I want to fix is how highlighted (or 'selected') text
appears, when the selection spans multiple lines.

	In the Microsoft world, highlighting some text, then moving the
mouse up to the next line, will cause a blank area about the size of a
space (' ') to become highlighted on the end of that (upper) line,
indicating that you have selected the carriage return on the end of that
line in your selection.

	Nedit, under Unix, highlights everything to the right of the upper
line to indicate that line's carriage return has been selected.

	If you have Gnome installed, you can quickly see the difference in
gnome-terminal vs. xterm.  xterm behaves the first (Microsoft-like) way,
and gnome-terminal behaves the Nedit way, when you select text using the
mouse.  Just select some blank lines in each to see the difference.

	I do not know how emacs behaves.

	Currently, GtkText offers no visual clue whatsoever.  This is a
bug.  I want to implement some visual cue as to how many lines you have
selected, even when the lines are blank.

	Do people prefer the first (Microsoft-like) way, or the second
(Nedit-like) way?  Personally, I prefer the first way because it offers
more information.  If we use the second way, and you have a line that ends
with several trailing spaces or tabs, you cannot tell if you have selected
just the \n or the \n and some of the spaces.  With the first way, you can
see exactly where the end of the line is at.

	Any opinions or insights are appreciated.

Thank You,
Derek Simkowiak
dereks@kd-dev.com