Re: glib-1.3

> Why should people have to recompile everything every 2 months?
> I don't see it.

I think this is from the bitter experience we had on the GNOME
project.  Basically, by using the development versions of the
libraries, we managed to effectively decrease our user base close to
what most western cultures call zero.

Look at the complaints of people: when they installed GNOME themselves
they lost access to the GIMP.  Yes, we can work around this.  No, it
is not trivial to work around it and most Unix users will have a hard
time getting this right.

> This conflict is a serious problem for us, because we're all working
> in the same territory and our goals overlap.

I do not see why it is such a big deal.  You can just autodetect if
glib has support for the GQueue and if not, use a version you supply
in your code.  Just like any other AC_CHECK_FUNC()ed thing you put in
your configure.in script.

> I do not see why development versions should not be made available,
> in fact I don't see any problems at all except for the soname
> business.

I do not think anyone has argued that the devel versions should not be
made available.

It just happens to be a non-supported platform for at least the
Gnome/Mozilla combination.

I am particularly worried because I want to use your code for Bonobo,
and I need to make Bonobo work with the *stable* versions of the
libraries.

> I may just decide to release a version of glib named something else,
> or with a different soname, but does it really have to come to that?

I wont be able to use your stuff in this condition.

Paraphrasing you: "I might just decide to release a version of librepo
named something else, or with a different soname, but does it really
have to come to that"?

I think all of our differences can be solved with a simple autoconf
test.

Best wishes,
Miguel.