Pixmap-theme woes (Was: Re: Off-by-one in gdk_draw_poly)

On 21 November, 1998 - Owen Taylor sent me these 2.8K bytes:

[polygon stuff snipped]
> > BTW, did my bug-report on pixmap-themes really end up here? I haven't
> > seen it in the archives.. now I'm subscribed here and hope that this
> > report comes through...
> >
> > Short on the pixmap-theme bug: http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/gtkgimp.gif
> > gdkrgb and some other special-widgets never shows up, instead you get
> > whatever is behind them... (I've started a new image, so the gdkrgb
> > should display a pure white color, instead I get my background pic)
>
> It think what you are seeing is that with gtk+-themes, you are not
> allowed to draw on arbitrary widgets. You are only allowed to draw on
> GtkDrawingArea and GtkDrawWindow widgets.
>
> > I'm using linux/x86 gimp -> 8bit sun display.
>
> Hmmm, that would make poking around in the X source difficult.

Me, maru and yosh did some tests and here are the results:
non-ssh, sweden -> usa (yosh)- works
non-ssh, sweden -> .at (maru)- works
ssh, sweden -> usa (yosh)    - not work
ssh, sweden -> .at (maru)    - not work
ssh, sweden inside lan       - not work
non-ssh, inside lan          - works most of the times.. but not always
                               most often fails when displays are slow
local (DISPLAY=:0.0)         - works

I've tried the following locally:
Linux/x86 - 8, 16, 24bpp
Sun/sparc - 8, 24bpp
Irix/R4k  - 8, 24bpp (the 24bpp thing has like 1,2,4,8,12,24 but chose 24)

yosh and maru uses linux/x86 and 16bpp+ (iirc)

I don't think it's the latency alone, since non-ssh over the atlantic must
give more latency than with ssh but inside the lan...

My guess would be some timing-problem like the color-selector had before...

Source (to non-linux X) could pretty sure be dug out on demand..

Any clues? (and why does it _only_ affect pixmap-based themes?)

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, stric@ing.umu.se, http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student of Computer Science at the University of Umeå