Forking gettext

Would there be any value in checking gettext into GNOME CVS,
calling it gtk-gettext or somesuch, and using it throughout GNOME?

GNOME currently requires[1] an alpha version of gettext, which has
it rough edges.  This is ok since it is an alpha version, but it
is annoying that we can't get changes into gettext in a reasonable
amount of time for GNOME stable releases.  The current gettext update
frequency doesn't imply that a stable version will be available
anytime soon.

We have tons of great minds with CVS access, I think gettext could be
greatly improved, while at the same time GNOME would get a stable
international library and set of utils.

Or is there a CVS server or Web site I've missed in my search?

	Jeff

[1] - granted, it is only a requirement on the developer's side