GtkFixed problems? (Re: GNOME/GTK canvas)

I have improved my canvas kind of program, at "http://www.funet.fi/~kouhia/
gui2.tar.gz".

Before explaning further: I would like to get feedback on following items.

(i) Why gtk_fixed_move() makes configure event for the moved drawing
areas (DAs)? There is no need for that, and as my programs shows, it is
incorrect to generate configure events for DAs. It would be nice if
user could set if configure events are generated.

(ii) My program doesn't work. All DAs do work, callback works, etc. but DAs
are not just visible. I could not find a solution in a few hours and I would
like if you could look at my program. I now suspect it might be the GtkFixed
which fails. Perhaps GtkFixed is unnecessarily limited and could be modified
without changing its behaviour in limited usage.

I forgot to look who wrote GtkFixed but I would like to discuss more
on improving GtkFixed if that is necessary to make my program to work.

 -*-

Alright. My GUI program has now an initially empty GtkFixed window.
By pressing a button, one new DA appears to the GtkFixed window.
User can draw to DAs with mb1 and move DAs with ctrl-mb1. Only problem
is that you cannot see the DAs. All events do work, you can draw and
move the DAs. I have added debug printouts to the code for you to verify
that callbacks indeed work.

Original scribble simple drawing program applied routines to DAs in
following order:
  -make new drawing area;
  -set size of drawing area;
  -put DA to fixed widget;
  -show DA widget;
  -connect callbacks to DA;
  -set event mask to DA.

Now this same order doesn't work and I got some "realized" error.
After putting the routines to the following order, everything works
except that DAs are invisible:
  -make new drawing area;
  -set size of drawing area;
  -connect callbacks to DA;
  -set event mask to DA;
  -put DA to fixed widget;
  -show DA widget.

If you decide to look at my code, thank you very much.

Yours,

Juhana