Re: ANNOUNCE: Phasing out GTK mailing lists and move to Discord

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 at 23:59, David C. Rankin <
drankinatty suddenlinkmail com> wrote:

On 03/18/2019 12:02 PM, Emmanuele Bassi via gtk-app-devel-list wrote:
Hi all;

as announced in:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2019-March/msg00000.html

we have created a Discourse instance available at:

  https://discourse.gnome.org

What is the technological hold-up to doing both? Listserves are no cost
simple
implementations that should be able to mirror posts from discourse to the
existing list and vice-versa.

This is an increasingly out of date position. Maintaining email servers and
mailing lists is getting more and more complicated with every passing year.

Sending thousands of emails to thousands of people every single day, and
rewriting the envelope to make sure that the email comes from gnome.org, is
becoming undistinguishable from spam. While we managed to carve out some
exception using the established mechanisms, large ISPs are not really happy
about all this stuff.

That would seem to be the way to go until you
have some assurance that discourse will preserve community involvement
instead
of just doing it on hope.

Splitting the community is not a great plan, so it's not going to happen.

You can interact with Discourse via email, which is the main reason why we
chose it as the platform to replace Mailman.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
https://www.bassi.io