Re: GTK+ 2.0/3.0 Windows runtimes

Thank you David.

The procedure was: on Linux development machine, unzip the gtk Windows bundle in a directory
with the C source, set up a Makefile with the appropriate CFLAGS and LDFLAGS, 'make mingw'
and deploy the EXE. This procedure suited my development style.

That is the 'start'. There are always additional pieces you may need to
install like any additional needed build dependencies like, e.g. gtksourcview,
libxml, etc..

This GTK+ program has had a well-defined job in the overall solution (quickly generating
greyscale comma-delimited text files and printed output). The rest is done by some Python
scripts. But there is always the chance that the user will have some new requirement which
fits better in the GTK+ program.

Then I just open the good ole windows command prompt (cmd.exe) and build.
Remember if you are using mingw-TDM, the binaries are named, e.g. mingw32-make
(for make), etc...
You should be able to, but I have not set up the cross-compile chain on Linux
to test. I just used the windows gtk2 binaries and it works fine for my purposes.

It's good to know that the GTK+ build could be done on the Windows target. For now, though,
I've grown used to the Linux ecosystem. 'Deployment' is done by a bash script which runs 'make
mingw' (one of my Makefile targets) and copies the EXE and .py files to a folder ready for
copying to the target Windows machine via sneakernet(TM). This is all that's required for
this one-off custom solution. Once I understood the naming of the mingw tools and set the
compiler to i686-w64-mingw32-gcc-5.3-win32 to match the bitness of the runtimes, it was
plain sailing.

Thanks
John Mills