The "effect" of carriage return in GtkTextView

HI!
I written an application GTK3 on Ubuntu 16.04 that essentially, by mean a
GUI generates an input file used to feed an executable.

This executable print out messages that inform the user about the status of
the run.
At the moment I'm able to catch this messages and redirect them on a
GtkTextView.

This executable produces messages like:

Evaluated point n 1 of 1000
Evaluated point n 2 of 1000

etc.

On a simple xtem, using instruction like:

printf("Evaluated point n %4d of %4d \r",iPoint, totalPoints);

I can observe the message always on the same line: the special character
"\r" put the cursor to the begin of the line but daes not change line.

What I would like to know if it is possible implement a similar effect on a
GtkTextView.

Thank You in Advance