How to scroll to a specific line

Hi all...

I've been looking at many posts and articles from all over Google, didn't find
any solution that works.

I'm using Gtk-3, introspection, and Python 3. I've tried many combinations of

get_iter_at_line, place_cursor, place_cursor_onscreen, and others. Even tried to
more or less calculate the scroll position and manipulate the vadjustments.

An example:
        itr = self.tbff.get_iter_at_line(linenr)
        self.tbff.place_cursor(itr)
        self.tview.place_cursor_onscreen()

I suspect that the problem may come from the fact that the widget has not
been rendered yet. I also tried to defer the actual scroll to GLib.idle_add,
but that didn't work out either.

John