simple question

i want in my program to change background color of the gtk_button to red sometimes as a signal to the user.

it works fine with default theme but not with some other themes like E17gtk.

how to fix this and ENFORCE color of button?
Same with text_entry - only border is changed not the whole background.

I'm using gtk2 to write portable app (developed under unix, will be used mostly under windows) and i would like to include some "cool" looking theme.

thank you