Widget show()/hide() crashes

I am writing a Python3 Gstreamer client application. I regularly receive
Gstreamer signals and on a certain condition I want to show() or hide() a
certain widget in my Gui.

This works for a few times but at some point the entire Application crashes.
When I connect it to a button press event from the gui, showing and hiding
works perfectly.

I also noticed that when the app tries to toggle quickly it sometimes ends
up reversed.. beeing visible when actually it should be not visible..
It looks to me like there is some kind of lack in synchronization between
the Gstreamer and the GTK context.

How can I sync this?

simplified code:

--