Re: questions regarding gtkcheckbutton

In theory, this should probably be done with CSS, but I've been unable to make that work. Instead, I'm using the sequence

    GtkWidget *image = gtk_image_new ();
    gtk_widget_set_size_request (image, 16, 16);
    g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT (image), "draw",
                      G_CALLBACK (colour_button_draw),
                      GINT_TO_POINTER (i));
    gtk_button_set_image (GTK_BUTTON (button), image);

and drawing the button manually using cairo.

I agree:  the GTK default geometries are too big.