does being inside a grid make an entry more editable?

I have some entries that are inside a grid (all gtk3 stuff).

I cannot seem to make them uneditable with a call to
gtk_editable_set_editable().

I also have an entry outside the grid, which
gtk_editable_set_editable() certainly can make uneditable.

So i think the difference between the two cases is the grid, and i'm
wondering if putting an entry inside a grid somehow makes it more
editable.  (Maybe this is obvious from some piece of documentation,
and i'm just being really opaque.)

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any info, one way or another, on how
being inside a grid would affect the editability of an entry!

dan