Re: g_log_set_fatal_mask() not working for me.

On Sun, 2017-12-17 at 17:54 -0500, cecashon aol com wrote:

Hi Richard,

This sounds similar to the problem Dino Aljević had in "Scrolled
TreeView and size allocation warnings" in this list in September?

I can get the warning

"(treeview4:3830): Gtk-WARNING **: Allocating size to GtkWindow
0x843e188 without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height().
How does the code know the size to allocate?"

with the following code with GTK3.22.26 but I don't see the warning
in GTK3.18.9. To get the warning expand the treeview until the list
extends past the window boundry. I looked on Bugzilla but I didn't
see it listed there. I am not great at finding things on Bugzilla so
that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Do you have some test code to produce the GtkScrollbar warning you
are seeing?

No, indeed, the warnings are appearing during the start up of a very
large program and I'm trying to locate the part of the program they are
coming from ...

For the g_log_set_fatal_mask() and a runtime
stop, try starting your code with

G_DEBUG=fatal-warnings

That's good to know, but it is rather a blunt instrument, calling
g_log_set_fatal_mask() from the debugger normally lets you pin down
particular warnings. Bizarrely, at present gdb has suddenly got amnesia
and declares
(gdb) call g_log_set_fatal_mask ("Gtk", 0xFFFF)
No symbol "g_log_set_fatal_mask" in current context.
Where previously it was returning the previous mask as it should.

It is a warning though. Something needs to be fixed but your program
should run fine.

Yes, it doesn't seem to cause a problem, but there is worse to come - I
have had a couple of crashes coming from Gtk since upgrading to Debian
Stable (hence Gtk 3.22) and I can get this:

Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0'
failed in GtkScrollbar

during a gtk_widget_show_all () of a widget that has previously been
working. At least I know where this one is happening...

Thanks for you helpful reply,

Richard