Re: Window icon is not shown in gnome shell dash under wayland

Hi;

On 2 December 2017 at 22:34, rastersoft <raster rastersoft com> wrote:

I created several applications that make use of Gtk.window, and set a window
icon. But recently I discovered that, under wayland, the icon is not shown
in the dash, but under X it is shown fine. It fails both in python3 and Vala
applications.

In both cases I used Glade to generate the window, and set the icon name
there.

What can I do to have again the right icon in the dash?

Window icons are set using X11 properties, which means there is no
corresponding concept under Wayland (and other windowing systems).

GNOME Shell uses the desktop file for retrieving metadata like icon,
names, and actions; you need to provide a desktop file with the same
name as your application's binary, or your GtkApplication application
id, and put it under /usr/share/applications or
$HOME/.local/share/applications. The icon specified in the desktop
file is going to be the one used by the shell.

For more information:

 - https://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/
 - https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeShell/ApplicationBased

Ciao,