Re: GUI size and translations

The usual way to deal with this is to set a `max-width-chars` on the
labels and set the `ellipsize`, `lines`, and `wrap` properties; if
you're using gettext, then you can leave a translator comment (which
will get included in the POT file) to tell the translator how many
characters are available for that particular string. Then you wait for
the bug reports saying that the localisation is broken in a specific
language, and you ask the translator to use a shorter word or
sentence.

Sadly, translations will always be problematic on UIs unless you
centralise all the localisations in place and you run them through a
centralised editorial/QA process.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.