widget without screen in pango context

I am trying to fix up some problems exposed by running my gtk app with
the command line argument --g-fatal-warning.

I am stuck on this one:

(bibledit-gtk:27056): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_widget_create_pango_context
()) called without screen

It occurs several times in my code. The first is while I am creating the
initial widgets in my program. I create a bunch of things like menus and
connect some signals. When in the midst of creating a navigation toolbar
with some spin buttons in it, I get the above warning. Some widget does
not have a screen, and so it blows up. I thought by delaying the
creation of these widgets that it would solve the problem, but it didn't
do so. After the above is done, I set up some fonts, open application
windows after a short delay, then run gtk_main().

The toolbar sits in a hierarchy that looks like this:

window_main = gtk_window_new(GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);
gtk_container_add (GTK_CONTAINER (window_main), vbox_main);
gtk_box_pack_start(GTK_BOX(vbox_main), toolbar, FALSE, FALSE, 0);

Can anyone suggest a general idea as to why the pango error is occurring
and what might be done about it?

(The reason I'm going through this is that I have a very strange bug
elsewhere that I am unable to figure out, so I want to make sure I'm not
planting the program with seeds of destruction early on. That will give
me more confidence when searching for the "big" bug.)

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer. You all have been very
helpful to me in the past.

Matt