Re: Ideas of new widgets and critics, only for enhance gtk+.

On Sun, 2016-12-11 at 10:18 +0100, eddie wrote:
Hi to all gtk+ users,

At first I get few ideas about some new widgets.

1. The 3 states button.
-----------------------

The most important, the most easy to implement is the idea of a
button which can take 3 different states.

I had this idea because I often have the need of something that I
have called the triboolean logic.

Which consist of something like a boolean but instead of 0 or 1 as
possible values you get 3 values:

-1, 0 and 1.

It's of course easy to create this type with **typedef**:

https://github.com/mrcyberfighter/mk-project/blob/master/mk-project-1
.0.0/data/templates/C_Project/headers/tribool.h

But gtk+ don't have this kind of widget and I never try to D.I.Y a
widget with gtk+.

ASCII Image of a 3 state button:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

```

+-----+-----+-----+

 -  |  0  |  +  |
+-----+-----+-----+

```

Hi Eddie,

For your above tristate button, this should be achievable without
adding anything to GTK+.

What you want I think is three GtkRadioButtons, and you want them to
be 'linked' together with the CSS - I think this is already the default
appearance when placing 3 radio buttons together in a GtkButtonBox.

I don't think however that a Joystick gizmo widget qualifies as general
purpose enough to be included in GTK+, this kind of thing should
certainly be application specific, or, shared in some other library
with similar widgets (dials ? for apps like q-base and sound mixers ?)

Cheers,
    -Tristan

2. The gizmo widget.
--------------------

What do you think of a widget emulating a gizmo ?

A gizmo looks like a joystick stick and is used to control a camera
for moving the camera and zooming.

Of course I think it's difficult to set it up to be as generic as
possible into gtk but not impossible.

You can per example make a widget looking like this:

```
       ____
      /    \
      |    |
      \____/

```
        ________
       /        \
      /          \
     |   \_|_/   |
     | --|___|-- |
     |   / | \   |
     \          /
      \________/

```

A cross to indicate the directions, Inscribe in a circle with
reactive regions, with a central button.

I think the best for emulating a gizmo is to take the cross of a
joystick,

with 8 directions, and adding a center region to press in/out...

Once done you can set the increments for every region for X and Y.

And the action to bind to bind to the central button press button.

Maybe you can use the inner drag-n-drop mechanic of gtk as base
for a better control of this widget with the mouse or touch devices.

Some critics about the Windows compatibility.

I have seen on this mail list that the bug of the native file chooser
manifesting by displaying a windows saying that the CD reader device
is not ready
comes from the BIOS CD reading capability...???

I had the same problem but it has fast disappear after some use of my
music player.

What's the problem for implementing a native folder chooser in fact ?

---

My first critic rely on the Gio GAppInfo which simply doesn't work.

Okay I can't set my application as default for content type per
example,

but why ?

Is this due of the underlying GvFS which Windows not implement ?

the developers of gtk won't make otherwise, they won't touch the hive
in writing ?

I don't really care about it.

It's a hallas to make Windows understand that your program

take more than one file as argument, once incomportementstalled,

whereas you can launch it with cmd.exe then it works.

They tell me I have to build something like COM serv(er|ice) for
passing more
than one file as argument to my music player. For making it work
properly
for selecting and open with...

Instead that Windows emulate the cmd.exe to launch a program

the graphic server (open with) work's otherwise: winshit !

Good work to the gtk development team but

stop to change the behavior of some components by every version
incrementation please.

I gonna go crazy if I must rewrite parts of all my program due of
this every time.

Thanks, best regards,

mrcyberfighter.