Re: Remote gtk3 app rendering issues

On 2016-04-21 01:35, Daniel Kasak wrote:
Greetings all. I have a bizarre issue that makes me wonder if I
understand how remote X applications work ...

I'm running Sabayon Linux on my dev laptop. My work has a bunch of
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS servers. When I ssh into a server and run a gtk3 app,
it renders widgets in a horrible 3.1 style, and many icons are
missing.

But if I tar up /usr/share/themes/Ambiance on the server, and dump it
into my ~/.themes on my laptop, the widgets render in the 'Ambiance'
theme - but *only* if I *also* tell my local window manager (
Enlightenment ) to use the Ambiance theme. I usually use the Adwaita
theme. I see that Ubuntu 14.04 LTS doesn't have the Adwaita theme -
maybe it's too old for this?

What's going on here? I thought the X client did all the rendering,
and pushed pixmaps to the ( in this case, remote ) X server. But
clearly resources on my laptop are being used here.

You're correct that X clients are in control of the rendering. But remember there are multiple X clients - in particular there is an X client called the window manager, which is running on your laptop. Guess what the window manager does? It draws the windows and their decorations.

Perhaps I'm approaching things incorrectly? What's the "recommended"
way of running remote ( gtk3 in particular ) apps and having them
render nicely - ie as they would if I was actually on the server I'm
ssh'd in to?

Sorry, can't speak to how gtk3 does things.

Dan