Ignore a GtkWindow resize event?

I am trying to ignore/abort a window re-size event as a manual way to force
a minimum or maximum window size.  I am getting the event through it
through configure-event.

Ideally I would not simply ignore the event, but "bound" the size given, as
such I tried to use gtk_window_resize() to force a size, in the
configure-event, but this gets ignored.

Is there a way of doing this without invoking GTK's built in minimum size
behavior?  (which incidentally doesn't appear to have a maximum size anyway)