Re: charset issue on Windows help needed

On Saturday 13 September 2014 4:21:18 PM Geert Janssens wrote:
Thanks a lot !

I'll try to apply a similar approach in gnucash for the
home dir use case.

For my second case, anybody know how to read an
environment variable directly in win32 using wide char
functions ?

Geert

You'd use the GetEnvironmentVariable function. What compiler and IDE are you
using?

In Windows every API function that deals with text has two variants, so theres
GetEnvironmentVariableA and GetEnvironmentVariableW.

If you use Visual Studio there's an option on project properties to select the
encoding and it #defines a symbol that defines the macros to call either variant
and you would use the TCHAR (there's a bunch of typedefs for dealing with
strings for example LPTSTR, LPSTR, LPWSTR but they all boil down to the same
thing, in this case LPSTR is typedef for char*, LPWSTR wchar_t*, and LPTSTR is
char* for ansi and wchar_t* for unicode) type to store the strings (it's a
typedef for char when using ANSI and wchar_t when using unicode). I'm not sure
what the symbol is called so if you're not using VS you can just use the wide
char variants directly or look at the headers and find out what you need to
define.