Reshowing Icons in a Grid

I have 10 different icons stored in 10 files. I want to display these 10 icons in different locations in a gtk_grid_new().

It works fine once.

If I gtk_widget_destroy(grid), create a new grid, and try to display these 10 icons a second time (some in different grid locations and some not) I get

gtk_grid_attach: assertion `gtk_widget_get_parent (child) == NULL' failed

and several

gtk_grid_attach: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (child)' failed

However, if I re-load the icons from their files after gtk_widget_destroy(grid) it works fine the second time.

I assume this is a referencing issue. But, shouldn't the gtk_widget_destroy(grid) destroy all references?

How can I reshow the icons without reloading the files?

--
Marshall Lake -- mlake mlake net -- http://www.mlake.net