wedged on enclosed with arrow code

well, after racking up somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 hours,
 I'm stuck.  the snippet below is from my *voice* code.
this program is in the Accessibility category and intended for the
users who are speech-impaired.  the others can presumable speak and
hear normally.

every sentence/word/paragraph the impaired user types is stored in
/usr/share/voice.  lets assume that the user had a laptop or tablet
and meets with his friends at a starbucks.  before long, the textfiles
in /usr/share/voice {{*may*}} run into the scores.  just in case
somebody  asks the user to re-read or re-play something he said before
I want the user to be able to arrow-up or -down until he finds the
misunderstood text string.

right now, most of my program works.  I use gvim with a simple set of
instructions; the program uses espeak and aplay to voice what is typed.
the problem is if there are more than a few strings to search.  (each
"filename" opens a separate gvim.  there are Next, Prev, Play, Quit
buttons on each gvim. searching thru many typewritten entries can get
messy.)  Having a separate button without a gvim would be far easier.

/* from voice.c */

   filename = g_build_filename (vhome, ifbuf, NULL);
   infile = fopen (filename, "r");
   if (infile)
     {
        while (1)
          {
             nchars = fread (file_buff, 1, MAXCHAT, infile);
             gtk_text_buffer_insert (buffer, &iter, file_buff, nchars);
             if (nchars < MAXCHAT)
                break;
          }
        fclose (infile);
     }
   else
     {
      g_print ("\nERROR! could not open %s\n", filename);
     }

hope this makes sense!

--
 Gary Kline  kline thought org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
             Twenty-eight years of service to the Unix community.