Re: Using a TextView as a sort of "Hbox with wrapping"

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 3:43 AM, James Tappin <jtappin gmail com> wrote:
  If I interpret what you are trying to do correctly (not necessarily a
given), then I would have thought that GtkScrolledWindow (possibly in
conjunction with GtkViewport) would be the tool for the job.

Not scrolling, wrapping. The window might be large enough to hold all
the statusbar entries (and I expect that it normally will be), but if
it's not, I would prefer the more graceful degradation of doubling the
height of the status bar and moving the excess to a new row rather
than widening the window. Scrolling would force the user to
consciously manipulate the status bar, which is contrary to its goal
of being subtle and "just there". Suddenly expanding to double its
normal height isn't perfect either, but maybe someone will actually
want it to be taller, who knows.

I could use a Table, or a Vbox with multiple Hboxes in it, but then
I'd need to decide in advance which elements drop to the next row. I
want it to be automatic: if there's room, use one row, otherwise wrap
to a second (and third, and fourth, if necessary, but I would hope
that's never the case!).

ChrisA