Re: Plotting library for GTK+

On Tue, 2 Dec 2014, Sergei Naumov wrote:

Hi, folks!

I think this question was asked many times but googling gives a rather patchy
answer to it. So, I am writing a piece of C code that acquires some data from
hardware controllers and it also has to plot a few simple graphs and histograms
out of them. What is a "canonical" tool for such a purpose?

I played a bit with GtkExtra but it seems that the project is somewhat forgotten and it does not have all the documentation in it. I also looked at Cairo but it is a low level library so I would have to implement all the scaling, axes, ticks
and stuff myself. There are some interactive tools based on GTK but I need a
library, as I have to build in plotting functionality.

AFAIK there's no such library, unfortunately. However gnuplot is perhaps the nearest thing to a "canonical" open-source plotting program. It can be run quite effectively in "slave" mode and can produce a wide variety of output formats (notably, using cairo and pango).

Allin Cottrell