Question About Creating Composite Widget Template

I created a composite widget template with Glade, and now I am binding all the children in the composite
widget template to private data members in my class. When I bind one particular member, box1, I get a
segfault in gtk_widget_is_toplevel (widget=0x837b60) at gtkwidget.c:8474.

If I don't bind box1, the application starts. Why would binding this child cause a segfault even though it is
GtkWidget, defined in channel_list.ui?