Delay time to spawn new threads?

I have written a program which spawns a new thread when the user clicks a button. The new thread does
something noticeable immediately after starting, so I know when the thread has begun. What I mean is, if I
run that piece of code that is executed as a new thread, but as a stand-alone program, it does it's thing
immediately.

However, when I have it run as a new thread when the user clicks a button, it takes about 1.5 seconds before
it does its thing.

I've done this with g_thread_create() and g_thread_new() with identical results. Is it normal for there to be
a 1.5 sec delay, or have I bumbled something?

Dave