Hiding scrollbars for GtkScrolledWindow

Hey there,
I'm trying to use a GtkScrolledWindow with the capability of scrolling,
but not displaying scroll bars (so the content has the appropriate
height). I need this behaviour, because I am using a small touch display
and handle the scrolled with bigger and easier to push buttons.

This is what I come up with, besides several other failed test, but it
does not work:
gtk_widget_hide(gtk_scrolled_window_get_vscrollbar(window));

I tried emulating some code [1] that seems to have worked for someone
working with PyGTK
Somebody has a clue on how to achieve this?
Thanks
 Felix Möller

[1] http://python.6.x6.nabble.com/Hide-scrollbar-tp1941146p1941149.html