How to prevent windows to be raised at the top of the stack when clicked?

Hi,

I'm struggling with this problem for several days now, and can't find any
solution.

I'm writing an application for Ubuntu using GTK in C language.
This application manages various windows (floating palettes, documents,
toolbars, etc), with a complex stacking (Z-order) strategy.
I would want to manage the stacking myself, by calling gtk_window_restack
appropriately.

It works well, except for one thing : when a window is clicked, it seems to be
automatically sent to front (top of the stack) by the system before my program
receives any signal.
For instance, if I put a breakpoint in the "focus_in_event" or
"button_press_event" signal callback, the window has already been sent to top
before the breakpoint is reached.

Is there a way to prevent a clicked window from being automatically sent to top
of the stack ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Olivier