Re: Gdk PixbufAnimation supported formats

On Thu, 2013-04-18 at 10:22 +0200, Nicola Fontana wrote:
Hi Kip,

my best suggestion is not to use animations: I hate moving things in
apps and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

Hey Nicola. I hear you and I'm sure a lot of people agree.

In this case, it's a user interface consideration that I think would add
some simple eye candy that an end user without your level of experience
and preferences might appreciate. Many other platform desktop
environments, e.g. w32 and OS X display simple animations in the shell
while transferring files, burning a disc, or what have you, and in many
cases, users of such environments form a sizable component of my target
demographics so I need to be mindful of them too.

Given that, years ago I used a GTK+2 burning front-end [1] that
integrated a libmng [2] animation while burning. It is coded in C
though.

Yes, that's a good example. Sadly I'm using PyGI in a runtime
environment that can depend on nothing other than the stock runtimes
that come preloaded on the most common distros.

Keep in mind IMO the PNG animation status is moribund.

I agree and believe that MNG and APNG are both dead or dying. I wish
there was a better way to do this that I knew about.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred